My journey to overall health and wellness... Thanks for coming along!

--

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'VE STARTED DATING...

Fitness Dating that is!
It's is a great way to try new things and also cultivate amazing friendships. I have found a lovely fitness date in fellow Pilates instructor, and all around awesome and inspiring chica, Lindsay Lopez (who's also blogging about our experiences). We are traveling around NYC together to find affordable and fun fitness!
As Pilates instructors we run the risk of falling into a couple of traps:

Trap #1. We do too much of one thing. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Pilates, but I think is beneficial to try all types of fitness methods, if for no other reason than to compare and contrast. How does this relate to my field? What is different/the same? What do I agree/disagree with? Answering these questions makes me a better, educated and more well-rounded instructor. And, like I said before, it doesn't have to be one thing or the other.

Trap #2. We are so busy whipping other people into shape that we forget about ourselves. It's hard to schedule in your own training time when you are training other people all day long. However, as instructors we have a responsibility to practice what we preach and set a good example for our students. Scheduling a Fitness Date is a good way to keep up on our own bodies. I am much less likely to break a date with Lindsay than with myself.

After a successful first date, Lindsay and I had our 2nd date (which, if my single lady memory serves, makes us officially dating) last week at Blink Fitness, Equinox's new affordable gym. We had a free trial- my kind of price- but membership is only $20 a month!


This is most certainly a bare bones work out facility, and for those of you who love to hit the cardio & weight machines and do your own thing, probably heaven.


For a class lover like me, not quite. I have never been a fan of mindless indoor cardio (though having a date on the elliptical next to me seemed to make the time breeze by) and like I said, since I train other people for a living, I kind of want someone else to tell me what to do for a change. That's why I love classes so much.
I will say this: Blink is beautiful, new, and SUPER clean! I was especially impressed with the built in iPod/iPhone chargers on the machines! You don't have to worry about using up the juice on your phone while you work out or it crashing to the ground. Very nice touch!
One last piece of advice: If you plan on showering, BRING YOUR OWN TOWEL!


There are showers, but no towels (or toiletries), so you will be forced to drip dry or take a good old fashioned hooker shower- like I did. TMI?
Needless to say, I won't be joining Blink, but I can totally see why other people are. If you live in NY, go to their website for your own FREE pass and see for yourself...

I will keep you updated on our upcoming Fitness Dates, and if you have any suggestions for where we should go/classes we should try, please comment and let me know.
Also, don't be afraid to explore the world of Fitness Dating for yourself... Grab a friend and get moving!

No comments: