My journey to overall health and wellness... Thanks for coming along!

--

Monday, July 26, 2010

TIS THE SEASON...

Tomato season to be exact!


Being an Italian, I am naturally tomato obsessed, and I feel like this obsession only gets stronger every year as tomato season rolls around. In fact, this year, Jay and I decided to grow our own! So far the venture has been mildly successful. We are still semi-patiently waiting for the abundance of lycopene deliciousness we fantasized about. However we were able to grab a handful of sun gold tomatoes off the vine......and were inspired to make our favorite tomato-centric recipe: Tomato Basil Bruschetta. We discovered this particular recipe from watching the movie Julie and Julia and basically drooling all over ourselves as she fries up (yes fries up- I know, I know) peasant bread and loads it with all different colors of our beloved tomatoes. Seriously drooling. I am drooling now as I write this... Get the recipe direct from the food stylist on the movie here.
Obviously our small handful was not going to do the trick, so we took a field trip that I have been DYING to take ever since seeing this Martha Stewart Episode. We headed out to the Eagle Street Rooftop Farm in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Yes, you read the correctly ROOFTOP FARM! It is a real working farm up above it all with a killer view of the Empire State Building, and I have the pics to prove it.

Definitely more impressive than our "Patio Farm in Queens". Baby steps...


The farm has a store that is open every Sunday from 10am- 4pm where they sell whatever popped up that week. Lucky for us they had tomatoes. We stocked up and headed back (the farm is a good 2.5 mile walk from our place, so it makes me feel less guilty about the whole frying in olive oil thing... wink. wink.) to make our bruschetta!



With the farm tomatoes, our tomatoes and not to mention basil from our "garden" it was pure heaven!

No comments: